Marisa Herrera selected as Vice President for Students, Equity, & Success

Greetings from the Office of Student Learning & Success!

I am delighted to announce that Marisa Herrera has been selected as the new Vice President for Students, Equity, & Success. This student support position was re-envisioned to better reflect the changing needs of Shoreline students.

Marisa will be moving on from her role as Executive Director for Community Building and Inclusion at the University of Washington, where she was part of the leadership of the Office of Minority Affairs and Diversity for over five years. Leading the UW’s Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural Center, she developed diversity and cultural programming, co-founded Leadership Without Borders, and helped to establish the UW Food Pantry. She has also worked in a variety of student services, diversity, and admissions roles at Stanford University, UCLA, and Northern Arizona University.

marisa.jpeg

Originally from a small mining town in southeastern Arizona, Marisa received her Doctor of Education from the University of Southern California. She has served on several national advisory boards and is engaged in local community work as a commissioner on the City of Seattle Human Rights Commission and board member at the Center for Inclusive Entrepreneurship and Casa Latina. In 2017, she was awarded the inaugural POC Voices and Visions award by the Evans School of Public Policy.

Marisa shared, “I am thrilled to be joining the Shoreline community and can’t wait to get started to kick off the school year. I was incredibly impressed with everyone I met during my visit and know that Shoreline is exactly where I am meant to be.”

I also wish to extend a sincere thank you to the screening committee, the Student Success Division, and the many other employees and students who participated in this recruitment.

Please join me in welcoming Marisa to the campus when she begins in her new role on September 15.

Respectfully,
Alison Stevens