Message from President Roberts: Farewell

Dear Colleague,

It is with mixed feelings that I write this letter of farewell as President of Shoreline. It was not an easy decision to make. I have been most fortunate to be associated with Shoreline during a time of historic and rapid change. My time has marked the fulfillment of our blueprint focused on integrating student success, diversity, quality, and sustainability principles across every facet of college life. It was an exciting time to provide leadership as we nurtured our vision of transforming lives and communities through exceptional learning experiences. It has been a remarkable time of learning for me individually and as a member of the college community.

As Annie Dillard said so well, “How you spend each day, is of course, how you live your life.”

Coming to Shoreline allowed me to stretch my professional wings and grow in amazing ways both personally and professionally. It also helped me discern what is important in my life. Having a full life with meaningful work surrounded by the love and warmth of family and friends is important. I believe this decision to retire will result in more balance, wholeness, and health.

As with everything in life, decisions create choices and opportunities. Being a part of this college community has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my professional career. I continue to be humbled by my affiliation with such extraordinary professionals at Shoreline. You are committed to something noble – creating the conditions where students can be successful, as well as building a culture of care and respect. Thank you for the opportunity to share in this most important work.

Thank you for everything you’ve done to support the College’s vision and mission during my time at Shoreline. Your unwavering belief and encouragement of our work will be a lasting memory and one I will always cherish.

As you move forward, I know you will support the Acting President Phillip King, with steadfast support and care during the upcoming academic year!

With deepest gratitude,

Cheryl Roberts, Ed.D.